After a few months living in Divinity Hall with his students, Palfrey decided to build a home in Cambridge for his family. He bought twelve acres north of the college from Edward Everett, borrowed money from his father-in-law, and built Hazelwood. This house still stands, now hidden behind the Cyclotron Laboratory and called Palfrey House. The current streets in this area named Hammond, Gorham, and Carver are all family names. (One can only imagine what the landscape looked like then; for most of the 19th century, there were no buildings between his house and Divinity Hall.)
The family and two servants moved here in Oct. 1831, shortly after the birth of son Francis (Frank). Except for the early 1840s and during the Civil War, this was the Palfrey home until 1916, when Harvard acquired the property.
"Palfrey House" (Hazelwood), Feb. 1997. Photograph by: C. Wunderlich. Additional views
|Next | Back
This online exhibit was prepared in 1997.